Friday, February 8, 2019

A Faithful Gathering by Leslie Gould

40390710



ABOUT THE BOOK

Leisel Bachmann left her Amish roots and beloved sisters to pursue a career in medicine without a second thought. She has an Englisch boyfriend, Nick Jordan, and dreams of a new life--but those dreams come crashing down when her sister Marie is diagnosed with cancer.

Soon nothing is going as she planned--not her state boards, not her first nursing job, and certainly not her relationship with Nick. As she becomes increasingly discouraged, her aunt shares the story of Leisel's grandfather during World War II and the struggle he faced between returning to Lancaster or being with the woman he loved.

Peace and a vision for the future are difficult to find, and when Nick leaves Pennsylvania for a completely new life, Leisel is faced with impossible choices. Will she stay in Lancaster, close to her family and the traditions of her past? Or learn from her grandfather's story and embrace a life of love and service in an uncertain future?



MY REVIEW

Gould approaches the Amish a different way in this series of books. I like it that she wrote this series from each sister's view point. ( Of course A Faithful Gathering is the best! )
The dual timeline is awesome as well!! Auntie Suz is a wonderful storyteller!!
In a way, she reminds me of my grandfather and the way he told his stories of the 2nd world war. Except they changed with each telling lol! It didn't really matter to me because I enjoyed them and they made me laugh. 
I feel like Liesel at times caught at a crossroads not knowing what I really want out of life. I do now though. 
I liked how the author wrote with her heart and it is almost like it was her history that she was writing about . 
I think that there is some great advice in this wonderful book. Like Gus said" Don't give into fear and don't let it control you" " Do what you were meant to do" "Trust!! A mighty big word in my opinion. Even I have trouble with that! I am just now learning how to forgive people including my dad. He was a sneaky stinker!! 
Beathel was a character I didn't really like until there toward the end of the book. She's a perfect example of how fear can control one's life if you let it. That explains why she's so crotchety and mean. She is also a perfect example of how God can slowly change your heart and soul if you let him. 
The title for this book is perfect!! I loved how family stuck together down through the years and I don't blame Liesel for not wanting to unequally yoked to a non believer. That has go to be very stressful. You can try and try and the more they will dig their heals in. 
I can't imagine not having Jesus in my life. My whole world would definitely be dark without him.
Thank God he came to save us from our sins. For by Grace we are saved and God loved us enough to do just that!! 
I admire the Amish for various reasons and I am glad I learned the truth about Jesus. The Ordnung 
doesn't save you. Jesus does and it is a wonderful feeling!!
I received a copy from the publisher with no compensations received! All opinions are my own 


ABOUT  THE AUTHOR

Leslie GouldLeslie Gould is the #1 bestselling and Christy Award-winning author of thirty novels. She received her MFA from Portland State University and teaches writing at Warner Pacific University. Leslie enjoys traveling, hiking, and history. She and her husband, Peter, are the revolving-door parents of four children and two cats. Visit her at http://www.lesliegould.com/.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Songs that could have been by Amanda Wen

ABOUT THE BOOK Two couples in love. Two sets of impossible circumstances. One powerful God of grace. After a tailspin in her late teens, Lau...