Saturday, August 22, 2020

The Stone Wall by Beverly Lewis

 52590142


ABOUT THE BOOK


Anna is eager to begin a new chapter in her life as a Lancaster County tour guide in the picturesque area where her Plain grandmother once stayed. Anna wishes she could talk with her grandmother about those long-ago days, but the elderly woman suffers from Alzheimer's, and beyond a vague hint about an old stone wall, much about that time is a mystery. Thankfully, Martin Nolt, a handsome Mennonite, takes the young Beachy Amish woman under his wing for her training, familiarizing her with the many local highlights, including Peaceful Meadows Horse Retreat, which serves children with special needs. The retreat's mission so inspires Anna that she returns to volunteer, and she quickly strikes up a friendship with Gabe Allgyer, the young Amish widower who manages it.

As Anna grows closer to both Martin and Gabe, she finds herself faced with a difficult choice--one in potential conflict with the expectations of her parents. Will Anna find true love and the truth about her grandmother's past in Lancaster County? Or will she find only heartbreak?


MY REVIEW


Friends I just had to write this review even though I'm not finished with the book yet. I was so excited when I seen this book because it's not often that a Beverly Lewis book is on Netgalley. Of course, I downloaded it right away!
I wasn't disappointed! Her books are always a treat to read! I'm almost finished with this one because I just couldn't put it down. I'm tired but it's a good kind of tired. I haven't read a book quite this good in a long while and plus I've been in a reading slump so this was just what I needed to pick my reading back up.
There are so many interesting places that were named in this book and Lewis has done a very good job in describing them that I felt like I was there seeing it through Anna's eyes and helping the tourists myself!
Her faith in God is truly amazing and I sometimes envy her for that because sometimes I find myself getting very discouraged sometimes ( many times) actually. Faith is never easy that's for sure and for me it's been a challenge throughout the years.
Yes, life can be discouraging but if we let it, it can and will keep us hostage as long as we let it if that makes sense.
There are lots of good quotes in this book and some of them are really uplifting. I consider them a gentle reminder from God to always look to Him and let Him guide us if it's His will. Through Him all good things will come if we trust Him enough and put Him in our lives first.
Anna is a girl who loves books just like me. I always like to keep one handy. You never know when you might need one to pass the time. History is a favorite of mine. I love learning things and refreshing myself at times too.
I think Anna's occupation is very interesting. I could imagine myself doing her job.
The many characters that are in this story is interesting like horse therapy. I enjoyed meeting Gabe and seeing his farm. A very interesting occupation as well.
I got to go to an Amish farm on a tour bus one year and I really enjoyed it. Our tour guide was Mennonite and she was a cousin to the people whose farm we were going to. It was such a fun day.
I really highly recommend this book. It is going on my fall list of 2020 books to read and I think I"ll also add it to my shelf along with my favorite books.
Thank you Beverly Lewis for another fine book! I always look forward to your stories and they are such a treat!
My thanks to Netgalley for a copy of this fine book and I was NOT required to write a positive review and all opinions are my own!

ABOUT THE BOOK

Beverly Lewis

Beverly Lewis, raised in Pennsylvania Amish country and both a schoolteacher and an accomplished musician, has been an award-winning author for over a dozen years. Her acclaimed novel, The Preacher's Daughter, was a 2006 Quill Book Award finalist in the romance category. Her books have appeared on numerous bestseller lists, including USA Today and The New York Times. She and her husband, David, live in Colorado."










2 comments:

  1. I love Beverly Lewis’ books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beverly Lewis is who got me started on reading Christian fiction books years ago, before I even knew there was such a thing. Hers were the first ones I discovered and fell in love with. So she holds a special place in my heart & I will read anything she writes :-)

    I'm definitely going over to find this on Netgalley! Thanks for your wonderful review, Lori.

    ReplyDelete

The Songs that could have been by Amanda Wen

ABOUT THE BOOK Two couples in love. Two sets of impossible circumstances. One powerful God of grace. After a tailspin in her late teens, Lau...